DHARMENDER SINGH, P. K. CHAHAL*, B. S. GHANGHAS AND DANGI POOJA ARUN
Department of Extension Education
CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar-125 004 (Haryana), India
*(e-mail : email@example.com)
(Received : 05 September 2022; Accepted : 28 September 2022)
The most important factor which decides the awareness and adoption level of any new varieties, method or technology in the agricultural sector is the socio-economic conditions of farmers. This study focuses on the socio-economic conditions of the sorghum growers of the Gurugram district of Haryana state.For this study, an interview schedule was prepared. The independent variables are different socio-economic characteristics including age, education, caste, landholding, family type, cropping system etc.The study was conducted in two blocks inthe Gurugram district of Haryana. A total of 120 respondents were selected for the study. The data showed that the majority of respondents belonged to the middle age group (36-50 years). In terms of educational background, it was observed that out of 120 respondents, maximum respondents (45.80 %) were matriculate or intermediate passed, followed by middle education group 23.30 per cent. While 20.80 per cent of respondents were graduate and above and the percentage of illiterate group was lowest as only 10.00 per cent. It is evident from findings that the majority of respondents 49.2 per cent belonged to the other backward caste (OBC) category. That the majority of respondents 76.70 per cent were living in a joint family system and the remaining 23.30 per cent respondents were living in a nuclear family system in the area of investigation. The majority of respondents (71.70%) were having large family sizes followed by respondents having a small family size 28.30 per cent.
Key words: Socio-economic variables, education, majority, respondents